Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The "S" word…Stewardship!

What exactly is "good stewardship?" Sometimes it is a subject that ruffles a few feathers.  I could copy and paste the exact Merriam Webster definition of the term, but I really think that only scratches the surface.  Or, worse, takes something away from what I believe it truly encompasses: a unique relationship with our savior and creator.

Let me begin my explanation here: my church is one of the biggest blessings in my life.  My love for my church is right up there with my love for my husband and children.  Let me take you back in time a few years...

During my college days, I attended church on campus at my Lutheran University.  But…it never felt like "home" to me.  It was college, after all.  Sometimes, I am ashamed to admit, I let other things get in the way of my church going. Even though I was studying Lutheran Education, my campus church didn't always occupy a place of high priority in my mind.

Then, I received a call to teach at my current Church and School.  From the MOMENT I walked into the doors for my first initial interview I felt God calling me.  Calling me to Him, to serve Him, and to be a part of His family.  It was like I found that last puzzle piece to complete the beginning of the rest of my life. I felt surrounded by a new family.  I felt God's love living in the members of this congregation. But most of all, I plainly saw how He placed me there.  I truly felt how He had guided me back into His fold.

Over the years, I have grown along with my congregation.  I have taught, served, and brought my own children into its family. My church has in turn taught me, encouraged me, and baptized and welcomed countless new believers into its family.  It is such an integral part of my life.  I do not want to live without this family.

I love my husband and children.  I give them just about every part of myself, every day.  I could never dream of having the type of relationship with them where I sit back and expect them to serve me all the time.  It is a JOY to give them whatever I have.  It brings me JOY to see them nourished on the food I make, growing strong and healthy.  It brings me JOY to serve them.  I never want this relationship of serving them to end.

It is the same with my church.  It brings me joy to give what I have to my church family.  If I'm good at bulletin boards…I decorate bulletin boards.  If I'm good with children…I teach bible school or Sunday school.  If I'm good with music…I sing in the choir.  I just really want to do all these things because IT MAKES ME HAPPY.  I know that when I am serving others, I am serving my savior.  God gave every one of us different talents.  When we take all those unique gifts and abilities and give them back to the church…IT FLOURISHES.

My relationship with my family at home is not about how they can serve me.  Neither is it that way with my church.  I love my church so much, my question is, "how can I serve today?"

I did not stumble into this church family accidentally.  It is one of my most precious gifts given to me by my Heavenly Father.  I am thankful for it every day.  I never want to see it hurting, struggling or in despair.  I will fight for it, defend it and and give it everything I can.

THAT, my friends, is what stewardship means to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment