Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Gloria in Excelsis Deo

My "hang-ups" get the better of me.  Small things, important things, but small things: forgotten violin practice, squabbles over green scissors, anger over missing shoes. One after another, these frustrations eat away at my peace. The mom needs to calm all squabbles. The mom needs to find the missing shoes.  The mom needs to remind the virtuoso to practice. The mom needs to be a better mom. 

My wordless prayer sent up to heaven was simply a need for the Spirit to fill me. The hang ups are not filling me in such a great way.  I would rather have the Holy Spirit filling me. He would rather fill me. 

My God delivers.  Every time.  I pray, and He answers. In His time, in His way. He knows how to speak to my unique soul. My ears and heart were open to seeing Him in my morning drive.

John Rutter's Gloria streamed into my car as I mundanely pulled through the bank ATM line. "Gloria in Excelsis Deo! Amen!" My heart was immediately filled with the knowledge that my hangups do not really matter.  Nothing else matters.  I could feel the heavenly angels singing "Glory to God in the Highest! Amen!" He is what matters. Someday I will be there, singing in chorus.  My human heart would burst with the glory; my human heart aches when I think of this homecoming. My heavenly heart will be complete and perfect. The glory of God, visible by my own eyes! My own voice singing praises to Him in His presence! These italics cannot convey how my heart leaps at the thought!

This human life and these hang ups will pass away, but our God will never pass away! To be the best mom is to pass along this hunger.  This yearning. This longing to be in our God's presence. It is a longing that will be fulfilled. Our God has promised, and He keeps His promises. What blessed assurance my children have, through their Redeemer, that they will sing with Him in glory. 

Gratias agimus tibi. Thank you for Your great Glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment