Monday, February 17, 2014

I'm In Love With…the Morning?

This morning I ran into a dear friend in the office at school.  She was all smiles, and exclaimed that she was just very happy this morning.  She had a long list of things to do, and none of them were yet accomplished…but she was, still, just very happy.  She added that her mood may very well be changed by late this evening, but on this snowy Monday morning, everything was great!

I heartily agreed with her!  Mornings are great!  I feel the most productive, have the most energy, am the most patient with my kids…all in the mornings.  If it is a sunny morning, well, all the better.

As I drove away and was pondering all of this, another memory came to mind.  Not long ago yet a different dear friend posted this on her Facebook page:
"Thankful that His mercies are new every morning…and that joy comes in the morning."

Of course that phrase rang a bell in the depths of my Sunday-School-bible-verse-memory-archives.  Thanks to Bible Gateway (my favorite website to look up bible verses), I very quickly found the Psalm she was quoting:

"Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints,
and give thanks to His holy name.
For His anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes in the morning."
Psalm 30:6-7

And then, of course, things seemed to all click into place.  It wasn't a very hard concept to put together, and quite obvious really, but I guess once again my feeble humanity clouded my eyes to see how God works in our lives.  

I am joyous in the morning because God grants me joy.  NEW each morning.  

I feel good, productive, patient, loved, happy, etc…because God has promised to renew me each morning.  To give me the strength and vigor that I need to boost me through my day.  

Yes, some mornings are not joyful.  Some mornings I wake up, foggy…then remember a certain situation, and grief or worry or shame may roll over me.  I really don't like those mornings.  But at least I have the promise: "weeping may tarry for the night (and perhaps that night may last a LONG time), but JOY comes in the morning."  I WILL have joyful mornings again, it is a promise I can cling to. Even when there may be nothing else to grasp.

Thank you LORD, for this morning of JOY!  Thank you for your mercies that are new today, and will be new tomorrow! Quiet my soul on the mornings of grief or sadness.  Let this promise of "JOY to come" bring hope on those dark mornings. Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment